User talk:Boring Manager Rob
A note of appreciation
Thank you for cleaning up all this crazy bot spam. I had totally forgotten about it after the couple days I tried (and failed) to stem the tide. ConspicuousCompiler 20:29, 20 September 2011 (EDT)
- Hey, it's the least I can do for JoCo.
It's not like I have a life or anything.Hopefully a permanent solution to this spam will present itself soon. Boring Manager Rob 20:35, 20 September 2011 (EDT)
(moved to JoCopedia talk:Moderators#More Spam)
I am Durty Willy, and you deleted one of my User pages. I am not a spammer, and was unaware of any spam on my pages (if there was, I apologise for not being more diligent, and please let me know what happened). I would appreciate it if you could restore the page, at least so I can personally clean it up, and so I check check the history to see if I missed anything interesting. I'm pretty sure there wasn't much there to begin with (if anything), but I just wanted to let you know I'm not a bot, and I would like to know why it was deleted. Durty Willy 06:30, 18 January 2012 (EST)
- PS, if it was only spam, THANK YOU for taking care of it, and again, sorry about my lack of diligence. Durty Willy 06:43, 18 January 2012 (EST)
- A spammer left a nonsense note on your talk page. There was nothing else on the page, so I deleted it. You're free to recreate the page, but there's nothing for me to restore other than spam. Boring Manager Rob 00:38, 19 January 2012 (EST)
- Cool, thank you BMR! I'm on a few wikis, and I lose track of my user pages occasionally. Thank you for your efforts to keep JoCo spam-free! Durty Willy 11:07, 19 January 2012 (EST)
Hi, I'm new to this wiki, but can I be a sysop? I can help clean up spam while you're not around and also I have experience with wikis because I made the weird al wiki in 2006 and I am a user on TMBW. The thing 17:12, 18 May 2012 (EDT)
- You'd have to ask Bry; he's in charge of that sort of thing. He's been busy as of late but if you message him on the forums I'm sure he'll get back to you. Boring Manager Rob 17:16, 18 May 2012 (EDT)
Is there any kind of spam filter on the wiki? The thing 20:37, 23 May 2012 (EDT)
- If I remember correctly there is/used to be some but they were mostly ineffective so they may have been removed. The wiki will ask you to provide the answer to an arithmetic problem if you attempt to add an external link, but the spambots are apparently capable of that. Boring Manager Rob 16:09, 24 May 2012 (EDT)
The spam will never stop. We will be cleaning up spam for the rest of our lives if agentlex never comes back. Did he start this wiki? If so, why isn't he around anymore? Why'd he just leave? Also, does JoCo ever actually come here? The thing 12:52, 10 June 2012 (EDT)
- A few things:
- Agent Lex has not been active on the wiki or forum since 2008/2009. I have only been here for about a year so I have never spoken to him.
- I believe he started the wiki with support of JoCo and some others (see its announcement), and
- Yes, JoCo has graced us with his presence. He also is an administrator.
- The best way to stop the spam would be to require an email in order to create an account here. I do not have the power to do this, but Bry and/or JoCo probably should.
Boring Manager Rob 14:26, 10 June 2012 (EDT)
- Bry said here that he doesn't have the power to do anything major. I think Jonathan himself is the only one who can do anything now. The thing 14:49, 10 June 2012 (EDT)
- Okay, I have sent Jonathan an email about it, and hopefully he will respond quickly. Boring Manager Rob 16:40, 10 June 2012 (EDT)
To save you some time, you don't have to block the users with the long names anymore. They don't spam, they only create accounts. The thing 12:25, 12 July 2012 (EDT)