When You Go
|When You Go|
|Release||Thing a Week Three|
"When You Go" is a song on Jonathan Coulton's sixth album, Thing a Week Three. The song is a cappella, though it's meaning is a little blurry. Upon it's release, JoCo said it was a breakup song, but not necessarily about the end of a romance. 5 years later he stated on his website that he was thinking about his daughter when he wrote it, imagining the day when she leaves home for college, or the army, or whatever it is she's going to do.
"When You Go" was released as the twenty-eighth Thing a Week on April 7th, 2006.
"When You Go" is occasionally played at Jonathan Coulton concerts.
- "When You Go" is classified as a sad song on the Listening Suggestions page.
- Len's Visual Thing a Week shows Jonathan looking at a picture of the comic strip character Nancy.
- It is featured in the soundtrack and trailer of Miss Shellagh's Miniskirt, an independent film produced by Petal Films.
- Emil Bleehall, a character at the Adventurer's Club themed nightclub in the Pleasure Island portion of Walt Disney World, would commonly perform "The Future Soon". The Adventurer's Club has since been closed to the public, and Emil's last song was, appropriately, "When You Go". - video
"When You Go" is currently only available for purchase in the Jonathan Coulton MP3 Store as an individual track or as part of Thing a Week III. Of course, this song is also included as part of the "Everything" playlist.
Downloadable FLAC versions of the above are available in the Jonathan Coulton FLAC Store.
"Thing a Week III" is available for purchase as a CD here.
- A karaoke version of "When You Go" is available on the Jonathan Coulton Karaoke Store.
- The song has been covered by fellow Masters of Song Fu winner Joe "Covenant" Lamb on his album "Beyond the Fu."
|JoCo Looks Back|