|Release||Thing a Week One|
"Shop Vac" was released as the fourth Thing a Week on October 7th, 2005. It was originally released without a solo. Jonathan held a contest for fans to submit sample solos and put the winning entry, by Vincent, into the song.
"Shop Vac" is played somewhat regularly at Jonathan Coulton concerts. Depending on the location of the concert, Jonathan will alternatively explain or bemoan the existence of suburbs. The solo is invariably omitted when the song is played live, but is otherwise an acoustic version of the recorded track.
- "Shop Vac" is classified as a funny/sad song on the Listening Suggestions page.
- The radio in the background near the end of the song appears to be saying the following (credit for this discovery to Blimix):
- "... the case of two men who have come up with an idea for ads reaching a captive audience. The ads can now be seen inside public bathroom stalls. 'It may seem silly,' says..."
- "A forty-nine-year-old, unidentified man went berserk last night, opening fire with a twelve-gauge shotgun in a crowded, downtown..."
- Jonathan's comments in his blog about these lines: "The newscast is a segment about ads above urinals, and then another about a guy going nuts with a shotgun. It felt a little goofy to drop that in there, but it also gave me chills, so I kept it."
Downloadable FLAC versions of the above are available in the Jonathan Coulton FLAC Store.
"Thing a Week I" is available for purchase as a CD here.
A karaoke version of "Shop Vac" is available on the Jonathan Coulton Karaoke Store.
(Your themes here)
|JoCo Looks Back|