St. Petersburg, FL: 2010-01-15
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
- Date: January 15, 2010
- Venue: Nova 535
- Supporting act: Paul and Storm
- The Future Soon
- Shop Vac
- Millionaire Girlfriend
- Tom Cruise Crazy (with Paul and Storm)
- Big Bad World One (with Paul and Storm)
- Code Monkey (with Paul and Storm)
- Always the Moon (with Paul and Storm)
- Soft Rocked by Me (with Paul and Storm)
- Creepy Doll (with Paul and Storm)
- Mr. Fancy Pants
- I Crush Everything
- Skullcrusher Mountain
- Mandelbrot Set
- Still Alive
- Re: Your Brains
- This was Jonathan's second show ever in Florida.
- Jonathan's Zendrum, lying on the floor near the back of the stage when not being played, was apparently misbehaving slightly on this particular evening and had become overly sensitive to vibrations in the floor. This resulted in a few of the earlier songs being unexpectedly injected with hilarious misfires of phrases from "Mr. Fancy Pants," including "Chances are your pants are not as fancy as the..." and the ever-to-the-point "Pants." Jonathan had some fun with this phenomenon after finally playing the actual song, initiating a playful bout of jumping around and stomping on the stage to elicit responses from his electronic sidekick.
- At one point, a fan had made her way to the edge of the stage and was holding her phone at arm's length to take a video of the trio performing. Between songs, Paul walked over to her and took her phone in order to give her "a better shot," passing the phone around the stage and getting what must have been some very good close-ups of Jonathan before finally returning the phone to the delighted fan. No word yet on if the video will ultimately make its way onto YouTube, despite explicit instructions to the contrary from Jonathan.
- A pair of cover songs bookending "Still Alive" were each initiated by Jonathan and then quickly abandoned: "It's Raining Men" and "Michael Row the Boat Ashore" (links to fan-recorded YouTube videos), the latter being jokingly set up as a "sing-along" before "Re: Your Brains."
- The encore's opening song, a cover of the They Might Be Giants hit "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" (itself a cover of an even older song first recorded by The Four Lads), was performed by the trio, apparently for the first time, by request from one particularly vocal fan earlier in the show. While preparing to play the song, Jonathan commented that he was unsure if they were in the right key, but the rendition turned out great regardless.